I went out and purchased one of those ricer tablets (as seen in pic above) for 1150 dollars at best buy. Why didn’t I buy it for cheaper online? Well, best buy has a really great 4 year warranty and if I don’t like what I buy, I can return it to the store *cough* but there is normally a 15% restocking fee for electronics and crap like that.
So… how do I like the new tablet? I FRIGGIN HATE IT!!!! The one thing that destroys this tablet for me entirely is the friggin screen. I have NEVER seen such a ridiculously overpowered glare come from a screen. Plus, in tablet mode … the buttons aren’t very tablety. This particular tablet is more of a play thing, overheating and whatnot with it’s ricer graphix card, than a business tablet. So… I decided to return that piece of crap today.
I managed to get that 15% restocking fee waived as well, thank goodness lol.
So, my next tablet will be an IBM x61 tablet – the thinkpad tablets are just soooooooooooo much better than anything else I’ve ever tried. They are durable, sturdy, business like, and the screens are fabulous and not stupidly shiny. I can get an x61 tablet pc for 950 bux from lenovo’s refurb pile online with 4 gigs of ram, vista 64 bit business, 8 cell battery, 150 gig hdd, etc. That’s the cheapest I’ve been able to find ’em.
But, even still, I’m not going to push the button just yet. I’m going to sit on this tablet pc thought for awhile. Yes, I do have an x41 tablet but it’s just not powerful enough for me, plain and simple, so I’m letting a friend tour it for the weekend with the intention to buy – I’m selling it for dirt cheap since I got it for dirt cheap.
In other news, after getting my 1150 dollars back from best buy *ahhh*, I purchased this from the apple store for 350 bux:
bose quietcomfort 3
All I can really say about these is that they’re stupid expensive but all the headphone guru’s say that they’re just flat out awesome. I wanted some noise cancelling headphones for awhile, and last time I tried these out with my girlfriend, I was really impressed. So… decided to make the plunge.
What am I going to use these expensive thingies fur? Well, mostly for work. At work, I’m on the computer for about 50% of my time and 40% of that time the co-workers near me are talking and gossiping and generally just being leisurely. That’s all good and well, gossip is one hell of a distracter. Those guys always have some interesting crap to say and it totally throws me off task. So, i need a way to completely ignore ALL SURROUNDING NOISES when I want to get things done. These headphones seemed like a good choice, save for the price.
Why did I not buy them online for cheaper? I’m just not that patient. I wanted them now, so I can use them NOW. Simple as that. SO far, they’re pretty kewl. I like the on ear design a lot better than that ear cup thing from the previous version of this headphone.
Some other conclusions:
– Vista adds awesome functionality (flicks, better fingerprint login, better onenoting ocr for whatever reason) to tablet pc’s
– The fingerprint reader is NOT useless, it’s actually great because now I can login to my computer in tablet mode
– touch screen functionality is useless for tablet pc’s except for fullscreen pdf reading
– the screen makes the tablet. if the screen sucks, the tablet sucks
– heat is actually something that should be considered when buying a tablet. if ur tablet catches fire like normal laptops, your tablet is teh suck
– 8 cell is a necessity for a tablet; the more battery life the better
– the pen that comes with the tablet is a VERY IMPORTANT FEATURE that must be considered when buying the tablet. the hp2500z pen has a CLICKING eraser on the end of the pen which sucks balls because everytime you erase something it feels like it’s scratching the screen because you have to apply waaaaay too much pressure to get the thing to click
– onenote is still king if you like to ink, if you prefer typing then evernote will suffice kinduh
– no matter what tablet you buy, videogames in general will SUCK HORRIBLY on it. the hp 2500z has a ricer video card and playing games on it still completely sucked because the screen is sooooo friggin tiny and the graphics card, although powerful compared to other tablets, still sucks. I guess my desktop has spoiled me for games since I’m on a “nice” graphics card and a two larger than necessary screens.
– these new obnoxiously wide widescreens are obnoxious. here’s what they look like:
^see that? the screens are like 10 inches wide and 1 inch tall. FRIGGIN HORRIBLE, however the thinkpad series x40, x41, x61, all have great sized screens and not that stupid obnoxious ultra wide wide-screen crap. This is another reason why I want the x61 because it’s going to be the last of the mohicans. You see, lenovo already released an x200 with that stupid wide wide-screen crap cuz it’s in high demand I guess. And guess what, that’s friggin gay. X61 > x200 imo just because of the screen